Die2nite
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Computers

2 posters

Go down

Computers Empty Computers

Post by Kompera Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:47 am

Very nice rig, Lodur. This thread hasn't seen any action in a while, so I thought I'd post my own setup.

Computers Rack10

The top computer is my gaming rig. It used to be in a rackmount case like the others, but I had to move it to the Antec 900 to keep the heat under control. Rackmount cases aren't made with airflow in mind, servers don't typically generate more heat than they can handle since they usually have a $30 video card just for basic display capabilities. Not even mounting additional fans could keep it cool. It's a few years old now but still does what I need it to do.

i7 960
256MB SSD primary
3x1TB HDD in a RAID 5 array data
ATI Radeon 5850
12GB RAM

Next down is my server/sandbox. Right now it has some of HP's NMS software loaded and a virtual LAN/WAN to play with.

Under that, the two black cases are doing third party verification of commercial content for Nielsen Media Research. They are a couple of, don't laugh, Win 98 machines. I didn't build them, Nielsen did, and they are about 8 years old now. The top is called the 'ear', it has a coax connection to the cable. It takes the cable TV signal and splits it out for parsing. Under that is the boss, it takes the parsed signal and does the verification thing, and uploads it via modem to Nielsen each night at about 3AM. And yes, I disabled the modem ringer so I didn't have to hear the thing every night phoning home. Very Happy

At my old place I had all the cables run neatly. At my new place I've been a bit of a pig and haven't gotten around to putting a couple hours into cable management. So it looks a little like a cross between a squid and Cthulhu right now...

Kompera

Back to top Go down

Computers Empty Re: Computers

Post by Lodur Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:17 pm

Nice, I had an Antec 900 before switching to the HAF 932, the only thing I found wrong with the Antec was it was too small for what I needed.
It has gone to a good home and the guy that bought it from me is happy with it. Great airflow in that case.

I have an old machine under the stairs that runs as a server (Intel E6850 @ 3.2Ghz on an Asus P5E, 4 Gigs of RAM @1066mhz and a $30 video card lol (passivly cooled))
Just dropped my Corsair 750W PSU in that one (had to cut the case a bit, damn thing wouldn't fit lol) But whats great is, you can't hear it now, before, the old 400W PSU would be making helicopter noises, It hardly makes the Corsair work lol.
Lodur
Lodur
Admin

https://stare.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum